Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Back in Chicago!

Well - The trip was great - quick but great! I had to keep it a secret as I was flying back to Buffalo then driving in to Niagara Falls to a surprise birthday party. I have yet to unload my pictures but hope to get that done soon and will add one here of the quilt being delivered to Loree. Loree is a friend of my mom's (mine too) back from when I was about 14 years old. (That wasa LONG time ago!!!) They have remained best friends although time and distance has kept them apart and Loree's family decided for her 75th birthday that they would have a party! They had a beautiful event at the new Seneca Casino Hotel in Niagra Falls, NY and it was incredible. The event which was cocktails, dinner and dancing, was hosted by Loree's eldest daughter Linda and planned by Linda's daughter Chandra. Everything was just perfect and so much attention to detail it was amazing especially since Chandra does not live in the NF area. This would be a feat if you were local, let alone living 500 miles away.

We were afraid with the snow storms in Chicago and the East coast on Wednesday and Thursday that our flights Friday morning would be impacted - Mom was flying up from Miami and I was flying across from O'Hare scheduled to meet about 15 minutes apart in BUF. Both of our flights were delayed, but I arrived only about a half hour before Mom so I was in baggage claim ready to meet here when she arrived. The trip to NF was simple as there was very little traffic on the snowy roads. I had a rental car from National and they upgraded me to an Impala which handled the snow and slush with no problems. We made it in by 2:30 and the party was at 5:30.

I had brought the quilt in my suitcase so I could also pick up some bread from DiCamillo's bakery in Lewiston to bring home. The quilt was spread on a table in the cocktail/dancing room and everyone signed the back with messages to Loree. I ran upstairs at the end of dinner to iron the back so the pigma ink would be permanent. It was really wonderful to meet all the kids that I knew from my own youth and see the poeple they had become in life. Most have remained in NF, which is so different of course from my countrywide ramblings. But it was really beautiful to see 4 generations of a family come together with such love for Loree. Most of the kids gave little speeches of thanks, or read poems they had written and one of the grandsons did a rap. Mom and Loree were glued side by side all night just taking it all in, and it was nice to see them together again!

I'll post again soon about what else I did in NF!

Well - It's time to work, so I'll add the pictures later - but I am home again and now working on my Crayola challenge quilt for the Ronald McDonald House Charities. This is my third RHMC challenge and I am really enjoying the quilt. I am making a Snail's Trail pattern and my quilt is Crayola colors Carnation Pink and Aquamarine. It is due to be at the host's home by February 1, so I am working hard on it. I made 15 blocks last night and hopefully can get five more out of the pink fabric I have. Otherwise I may have to do some substitution.

No comments: